I found this quote somewhere a few weeks ago: the ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak. -Hans Hoffman
I think it captured my attention because I've been preparing for my own little spring cleaning venture. We've been working through our house cleaning one room at a time. The last room to be cleaned will be our overflowing guest room, and it has to be done soon because we have guests on the calendar!
As I'm cleaning I am also dreaming. Dreaming of projects I would like to do, the quilt I'd like to finish, the photo's I'd like to scrapbook. But the thought I keep coming back to is that I can't really do anything till I take care of the rest of the stuff. I need to organize and sort and label and do all sorts of things for things I might use once or twice. And then I read this quote and thought, "what if I just get rid of stuff?" Now I am no pack rat but I think I could fill a few large boxes with things that I don't absolutely need or love. Just things I'm rather "in like" with that I think I could use later.
But what would my life look like if I got rid of all the unnecessary items? I could sell them or donate them. If I sold them I could help my clutch fund along. If I donated them they would be out of the house quicker. And without those items I'm thinking I could actually get to the projects I've been putting off for so long. It's something to mull over.
3 comments:
Is it time to update us on your debt? I follow you since my balance is closer to yours than anyone else I have seen online. :)
Yes, it probably is! Don't think it has changed too much though, sadly.
I need to get started on spring cleaning! Thanks for the inspiration. I also aspire to live simply. (I recently reread Walden Pond by Henry David Thoreau for more inspiration.)
Post a Comment