We are currently subscribers to Lifelock. Recently I have been reading that the FTC fined Lifelock 12 million dollars for false advertising. Our state is one included in the 11 million dollar settlement piece, and the FTC's website says they will be in touch with consumers affected (here). Will we be contacted? Probably.
Originally I had signed us up with this service because I didn't want to take the time to call all the credit bureau's myself. Also, Lifelock said they would pay up to a million dollars if your identity is stolen. A few months back we received a notice from Lifelock saying they are no longer able to put a fraud alert on our credit file. I'm wondering now if it's worth keeping the service, if only as a sort of a fraud insurance- though after reading the fine print they will only cover if the loss is because of a gap in their service.
The FTC has a page on how to decide whether or not to purchase one of these services here, and after reading their info I'm thinking I may cancel my service. Lifelock seems like a great idea but now that I'm home I think I can do it myself...and save $18 each month!
No comments:
Post a Comment