Friday, December 10, 2010

The Cost of Being Sick

I got sick this weekend. Without going into details I ended up going to the ER Sunday night. At the ER they took blood, gave a CAT scan and prescribed several pain/nausea medications. The next day we purchased Gatorade and chicken soup. The day after that I went to a follow-up visit at my regular doctor where I got a prescription refill. 

We have insurance and certainly saved buckets of money because of that insurance. But the visits were not free. We have a $100 ER co-pay that we asked to be billed for. There may be specialist fees for the CAT scan, and possibly for the prescriptions they sent me home with. We spent $15 on the Gatorade/soup. There was a $10 co-pay at my doctor, plus $15 for the prescription refill. So in just a couple days we may spent at least $140 and likely more.  Not in our budget.

I am thankful to have a clean bill of health. I am thankful that the ER visit showed an easily solved problem. No cancer, no broken insides, nothing terrible. I am thankful to have insurance to be able to go to doctors and hospitals and get prescriptions.

Yet we don't have the money. We'll find it and the Lord will provide. But it's just another example of why living on the edge is the wrong place to be.

No comments: