Monday, December 27, 2010

Three Dollars Worth of God

I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please, not enough to explode my soul or disturb my sleep, but just enough to equal a cup of warm milk or a snooze in the sunshine. [. . .] I want ecstasy, not transformation; I want the warmth of the womb, not a new birth. I want about a pound of the Eternal in a paper sack. I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please.
I'm not sure where I first came across that quote but I like it. It's taken from a book titled $3 Worth of God by Wilbur Rees. A very hard to find (and expensive when found) book! 

I've been thinking about this quote lately in conjunction with new year's resolutions. I read a bit from my Bible before bed, say a few prayers here and there and firmly believe what I believe. But I am beginning to suspect that is just $3 worth of God.

Years ago I lived in community with other young excited believers. We lived in a semi-communal way, worshiped together, prayed together (with gusto!), listened to amazing speakers and generally felt ready to conquer the world. Now I feel tired. While I want to capture my heart attitude from that time I find that the dishes, laundry, basement project, weeds, baby (or toddler as I should say now) and a host of other "life" things brings me to the end of the night without even thinking much about my love for God during the day. 

Boooo! I don't like that. :( I've been re-reading a book titled Discover the Power of the Bible by R.N. Frost. It's pretty much an extended explanation of how and why to do a Bible read through and my heart is drawn to the idea of reading through the Bible. But it brings up priorities. Let's say I want to make my goal to read through the Bible in six months. Pretty easy to achieve as that's only about 7 chapters a day. I read more than that online in one sitting. But the catch is making such a venture my priority. Will I pick up the other books calling for my attention? Will I play on the computer (ohh, the lost hours to FrontierVille)? Will I chuck everything and tackle my never-ending cleaning list? Or will I choose what I say is most important to me and pick God. 

Do I really want more than $3 worth of God?

No comments: