When we were first married and walking through day to day life together we would come upon things we wanted and felt like we needed but would not have the money for. We chose the "obvious" solution...just charge it!
Fast forward four years. We've been working so hard to get out of debt and not add any new debt. Our thinking has changed. I don't think I realized how much until yesterday as we were discussing the need for more cloth diapers.
I am using cloth diapers on our little guy as a way to save money. The challenge is that we don't have many and I have to do laundry daily to keep up...which is not a great way to save money either! We were discussing ways to get more cloth diapers...asking for gifts, taking our stash of cans in to get our deposits back, or selling some furniture we aren't really using. But no part of that conversation included charging new diapers as an option. Wow! We have made progress, even if it doesn't feel like it sometimes. I know four years ago I'd have $200 worth of diapers on my way here now, ready to be "paid off soon" (ha!).
I mentioned this to my husband he almost panicked, thinking I was telling him we should charge the diapers. I was tickled that he was ready to chastise me for wanting to use the card! Hurray!
2 comments:
Have you heard of diaperswappers.com? You can buy gently used diapers from mamas. Often quite a bit cheaper than buying new!
What kind do you use? We like prefolds with covers. REALLY economical and they work! I just trifold the prefold and lay it in the cover rather than securing it around my baby.
Check out Econobum and Flip for some good one-size covers that are really inexpensive.
I have heard of them but haven't looked at them closely...I'll have to now, thank you!
I just purchased three prefolds from wildflowerdiapers.com, and I like that idea to use them in the cover without the need for pins or snappi's. Thank you!
Post a Comment