When I first moved to the city I got a library card. But the library was downtown and I thought it was a pain to have to go there, figure out what I wanted, find it on the shelf and then go check it out, just so in another week or two I could return and repeat.
When I moved out of that county and got married my husband and I heard from "cheap" people we should do more at the library. So rather grudgingly we went to the library, signed up for that county's card and started browsing. And WOW! What a world we found!
First we discovered that libraries have videos. And not just old PBS specials...new releases! Next we discovered that if they did not have what we were looking for they could order it, and not just locally. My husband wanted a Nero Wolfe video collection and they found it for him at a library in Texas!
And then I got lazy, and decided I'd see if I could look at their book availabilities online. Not only can I browse the catalog online I can also request the books. This means that sitting in my robe with my cup of tea I can find and reserve as many books and videos as I want! Well, they may have a limit, but I haven't found it yet.
Today I discovered the library has a plethora of online resources as well. I have access to an online language learning software, genealogy information, business periodicals and ohhhh so much more, all from my home computer.
Our library also offers a cultural pass...a free pass into several of the local gardens and history museums.
And I thought they just had old books.
2 comments:
LOVE the library! Our county library system is fantastic. I can go online and reserve whatever books I want, and pick them up at the circulation desk. If the branch library doesn't have it, they can get it from another one easily.
And there are so many great free programs for kids and adults!
Such a fantastic place to be :)
It sure is!! :)
Post a Comment