This year we are trying to be a bit more realistic and set some goals we can reach! Here's what we have so far:
My Daily Goals
Breathe Deeply
Eat
Drink Water
Go Outside
Clean Something
My Weekly Goals
Visit with a friend
Learn Walgreens & Albertson's couponing
My Annual Goal
Whole house organized & purged by end of year.
Family Goals
Stop spending.
Pay bills on time.
Always have checkbook up to date.
Plant tomatoes and can them this summer.
I think those are reachable. As I was sharing my personal goals with my husband he was teasing me about needing to make a goal to eat, breathe deeply and go outside. But I told him just what I'm telling you- I get so busy in my day wrangling my toddler, trying to clean something and make food for my husband that I totally forget there is a world outside. I forget to eat during the day (though I remember to feed my little guy) and find that I've been holding my breath. So I figure...why not make these a goal? Now the next step is figuring out a way to remember these are my goals.
I think those are reachable. As I was sharing my personal goals with my husband he was teasing me about needing to make a goal to eat, breathe deeply and go outside. But I told him just what I'm telling you- I get so busy in my day wrangling my toddler, trying to clean something and make food for my husband that I totally forget there is a world outside. I forget to eat during the day (though I remember to feed my little guy) and find that I've been holding my breath. So I figure...why not make these a goal? Now the next step is figuring out a way to remember these are my goals.
2 comments:
Stop spending is a great one, very important for attaining financial goals, it's often all the little things that add up and you don't realize where the $ goes. All those things you buy cause they're "one sale" but don't really need.
About 5-6 years ago Mr Chiots and I decided to go one entire year without: "Buying anything that we didn't need to survive". We were determined and did really well, we didn't buy anything at all, we held strong all year. It's amazing how thinking about purchases and whether you "need" them is so valuable a lesson, once you start you realize you don't really need much to survive or be happy.
This was a turning point in our financial lives, we were never in debt (besides a house/car), but doing this really helped us realize how many little things we used to purchase each month that we didn't need (and in this we included food that wasn't nourishing or needed - cookies, cereal, etc). Doing this for an entire year was an eye-opening experience as to how much we spend without even thinking about it on sale items, cereal, cookies, food, misc little items on clearance, clothes, and big items etc.
During the year we quit shopping and going out to stores as recreation. We canceled our cable TV and used that time to grow some of our food and make everything at home. As a result each year snowballed and we were saving some serious cash each year. We put all this extra savings into paying off the car & the house and finally last Nov we did it. Not to bad for only living in the house for 8 years and not being 35 yet.
These small realizations are a step in the right direction. You'll need an iron-clad will to not buy things and to make sure you're not "buying to save" and falling into the trap of coupons/sales.
Good luck on this journey, you'll never regret embarking on it, you'll just wish you had come to this realization sooner.
I told my husband that I was posting our new year's goals and the first thing he asked was, "did you say - stop spending?!"
Wow, I admire your year commitment to not purchase anything but the necessities. I'm also envious that other than car/home you were never in debt! That's wonderful!!
Thank you!!
Post a Comment