Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Trials of a Propane Tank

The end of last year we made some bad choices. We used our credit cards. We used our freedom account. We threw up our hands for a month and said, "I just can't do it anymore!! I want to have things we'll never be able to afford otherwise!" Now, in total we charged around $500 that we haven't paid off yet. But that is months now that we're going to be going backward instead of forward.

So for the new year one renewed goal is "no new spending!" At least the spending that we haven't planned for. And yet we find ourselves already in a bind. We have three open credit cards. Two are maxed out; one is paid off and locked in our friends safe.

Here's the dilemma: we've drained our propane tank. 60 gallons gone in three months. It's been so cold here. We've kept the thermostat at 64 during the day and about 56 at night. The tank is almost empty and they are coming to fill it this week. That means by the end of the week we'll have a bill between $600 & $900 due by the end of the month. And no money to pay for it. Except- the credit card we paid off already.

There is another option but one that we are selfishly not wanting to use. We could drain our meager savings, use my birthday gift money and sell off the rest of our Christmas gift cards. We'd get $600 from this. I believe that would be the responsible route. The route of logic and the route I would strongly encourage anyone I counsel on finances to take. Yes, the money would be gone. And no, I couldn't do anything fun for another year. But I would also not be adding to the debt load.

I shared these two options with my husband, and his resounding response was, "no, we're not using our money." And then, in an offhand remark mentioned a possible profit-sharing check at the end of the month. More than possible- it's coming! Who knows for how much, but that is money we have now decided will go straight to paying the propane tank bill! And we'll just pray it's enough along with extra from the next check to pay the bill.

Our heat is now down to 62 during the day and 50 at night and I'm learning to use the wood burning stove until our wood supply is used up. Last year we used one tank for the whole winter. Booo cold winters and thinking 65 and 55 were decent temperatures to run. :(

No comments: