So I finally made the decision to cancel our Lifelock service. I think now that the changes have been made it just isn't worth it...and now that I'm home full time I have plenty of time to do the legwork myself. So I canceled, then did the following:
- Optoutprescreen.com: signed up there to be opted out of pre-screened mailings. Because I do not need one more piece of paper...or temptation...on my desk! The two options for opting out are electronic for five years or permanent. I went with permanent! The permanent option requires mailing off a confirmation sheet but I certainly think such a small bother is worth it!!
- National Do Not Call Registry: This was pretty easy. Just enter up to three phone numbers, a valid email address, then click the confirmation links in your email, and voila!
- Credit Freeze, TransUnion: also pretty straightforward but login is required. I didn't think we had one and went through the whole sign up process, only to be told at the end that we did have one! Once I got that straightened out it was easy, and since they already knew who I was I just had to pay my fee.
- Credit Freeze, Equifax: I have a theory that Equifax doesn't want their members to place a security freeze without purchasing one of their products. I say that because when I was logged in as a member I couldn't get to the page to begin a freeze. I tried it two different days. On the second day I logged out & went to "contact us," where strangely enough I found the correct link to start the freeze. Grrr. Once I found the correct link it was straightforward and I didn't need to log in. For our second freeze request I discovered the home page has the link at the bottom. Moral of the story- don't log in!
- Credit Freeze, Innovis: Innovis is a bit of the new kid on the block as credit reporting companies go. From my understanding they've been around a long time but only recently have opened up more services to consumers. With Innovis you submit the request online then they send you a confirmation letter and bill for payment if required.
I feel like there should be something else I can do, but at the moment that's all I've found. We have no plans to need to access our credit until our current debt is paid off, so for us the freeze seems like the best solution to try and help guard against anything new being opened up in our name...by us or someone else. With the freeze I also don't have to think about re-signing up in 90 days like I would with a fraud alert.
No comments:
Post a Comment