Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Goals - the Long & the Short of it

We've been talking a lot about our dreams lately. We'd like to pay off our debt in three years. We'd like to own a home with about five acres of land. A big farmhouse and outbuildings would be great too. We'd like to have a cow and ducks and rabbits and an alpaca. We'd like to be mostly self sufficient, including growing most of our food and grinding our own wheat. And we'd like to be doing all that in five years within thirty miles of where we currently live.

Is this a pipe dream? Probably. First off, unless we come into some large sums of unexpected money it is very (VERY) doubtful we'll be out of debt in three years. Or five years. Second, I can barely keep the house clean as is, and though we have room for a large garden currently I just don't have the bandwidth to keep it weeded and cared for. Third, unless the national and local economies tank so violently that home prices drop by about 75% locally buying a home here in our price range will always be out of our league.

Does this mean we'll stop dreaming and paying off our debt? No! But I'm trying to adjust my dreams to the reality that not all will come true. In that vein I sat down and planned our budget to see what it would take to be debt free in 3 years and do things now like go out to eat once a month and take a trip back east. In the end we need to bring in another $1,000 per month to make that happen.

Now how does a stay at home mom bring in another $1,000 each month for the next three years? I don't know. But I'm sure on a mission to figure it out!

No comments: