In the infamous Proverbs 31 section of the Bible it talks about the godly woman. Verse 27 reads, "She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness." It's that phrase, "the bread of idleness" that's been bugging me all week. I'm learning now to be a stay at home mom, housewife, household manager or domestic goddess depending on who you ask. I don't have anyone to teach me how to do this. I don't have anyone to watch either. So like my finances I poke around on blogs, try to ask friends questions and generally muddle through.
The problem is I think the bread of idleness tastes soooo good! Laundry or a movie on tv? Dishes or Farmville? Pulling weeds or reading more blogs than helpful. I've never been very good at productivity at home but I blamed it on being tired after work. I do think that was much of it, but still at the core of my being I long to be idle.
Idleness translates into our finances too. I don't want to be bothered to balance the checkbook or log that receipt. I don't want to think about putting the budget together or even worse having to follow it!
And yet I know every time I do something - be it cleaning or weeding or budgeting - I feel really good in my deeps! There is a satisfaction in doing something well that can't be beat by an afternoon lounging on the couch.
No comments:
Post a Comment