One of my new library finds is a book called Organic Housekeeping by Ellen Sandbeck. I've been reading this for the last month after the little fellow goes to bed and I love it! This woman has a handle on the balance between not clean enough and way too clean. I don't exactly love the title though. Organic seems to me one of those labels that is overused, but I'm not sure what I'd replace it with. Holistic? Common Sense? Rational? None of those are better, and in the end the contents of the book are what matters.
For my purposes the book is about how to clean the house cheaply and effectively without poisoning everyone with toxic fumes. :) But what really struck me was that the first chapter deals entirely with organization! She repeatedly makes the point that there are better things to do in life than clean house, and the more clutter you have the longer housekeeping will take.
I've been thinking about the clutter in my finances as well. I used to have five bank accounts...that is clutter! Four credit cards was clutter too. There are better things in life to do than spending more time than necessary managing finances. And the more clutter there is the harder it is to keep track of.
The book continues room to room and even has a section on baby proofing, or as her title states, "protecting the house from the children." I love it! This is a book I've renewed twice already and think I will purchase when I'm able to. It has so much good content in an accessible format and I would like to use it as the foundation of my housekeeping collection. And if you want it, I figured out how to link up the widget thingy-ma-bob into my post here! Technology is fascinating.
No comments:
Post a Comment