Friday, July 30, 2010

Friday Flashback

I read so many articles on blogs and websites during the week and often wish I could go back and read them again. So I decided to start a Friday Flashback post! My goal is that during the week when I read something that really strikes me I'll copy that link over here and write a note on why I like that link...and other thoughts of course. 

How to Create Barriers to Your Savings, Wise Bread: These are not bad barriers, but good ones...barriers to keep me from spending my savings! I especially like this line, "I've found that unless I'm proactive with my saving, I'll usually end up spending it anyway, regardless of my frugal spending strategies. [...] The road to broke is paved with good intentions." He recommends using an online bank separate from the regular one for stashing savings. I'm thinking about how to implement something like that.

Natural Deodorant Challenge,  Simple Organic: So I don't know about you, but natural deodorant is just not something I have ever had any desire to try! Even though I've heard that the aluminum in most deodorants is bad (alzheimers, breast cancer, and as my husband just said..."general metal poisoning") it's never been enough of a motivating factor for me to try something else. But after reading Simple Organic's experience and talking it over with my hubby I think we're going to try it! Eeek!

The Ability to Bend without Breaking, Passionate Homemaking: The ability to adapt to whatever financial situation comes along is a large piece of financial success. Trusting God's provision and being willing to accept and move forward when something happens outside "the plan" is so important.

In Plain View Budget Bulletin Board , Organizing Your Way: I'm always looking for a fresh view of things or a fresh way of looking at things. This is certainly one of them!

Inside Out Simplicity, Frugal Babe:  This is a book review and I must say it looks interesting! In her review, she writes, "Joshua’s new book, Inside-Out Simplicity, gets to the root of it all, and forces us to really look at what truly matters and peel away all the stuff that doesn’t." One of my favorite quotes is, "The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak. -Hans Hoffman" and this book seems to go along with that.

Poor Goal Setting, The Simple Dollar: It occurred to me last week that we say we would like a house and animals and vacations and all sorts of things within the next three to five years. But considering we've been on a five year plan for the past four years (still have five to go...every year...) something is amiss. One of our biggest problems in our plan is that we have no plan...just "pipe dreams" as he says. Now I'm working on a plan, depressing as it may be.

No comments: