Several years ago, just before hubby and I were married, we went to a brand name car lot and purchased our first car together. His car had just died and mine was very close. We were in a hurry and purchased a car on the spot, charging a $2,000 down payment to a credit card, rolling the rest of my car loan ($2,000?) in to the new car loan and walked off the lot with a shiny new-to-us car. Damage to our future: $11,500. Or so. (Can you see me shaking my head here...?)
Fast forward four plus years later to today. The car dealership called me today to say that they are in need of MY model of vehicle (WOW!) as a trade-in. They also happen to currently have some really great deals on new models (EXCITING!!). Am I interested?
I wonder if a few years back I would have jumped at the chance. The current car does have some problems. We need to get a transmission fluid leak fixed (read $150). We also got in the mail today the renewal notice for our state sticker/etc (read $107). It has some little body damage and the brakes are squeaky...new sounds nice! But it isn't a few years back.
I said to the salesman, with a silly smirk on my face he couldn't see, that we have about $6,000 left on our car loan and I would LOVE to have a new vehicle for that amount or less. Tee hee! The salesman said something like, "Well, we don't really have any in that price range for a NEW vehicle." I just said I imagined they didn't, and then we wished each other wonderful days and hung up.
Hubby was in the kitchen making lunch and we both got a good chuckle out of that. It's nice to be making wiser choices these days.
No comments:
Post a Comment