Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Peach Jam Canning: Lots of Learning Happening Here!

So peach jam canning seems to be a great window into the realm of learning as we go. I made four batches of peach jam the last couple days. Here's a review of what I'm learning...

When canning, it helps to start with a clean kitchen. Ours was not!



This was my first round of canning. I had the big pot of water boiling and a pan behind that with every lid possible simmering. Then on the left back had a pot simmering with the jars, and the left front (on the small burner) the dutch oven with jam. 





This was my last batch. I had the big pot full of water and the jars, then a little saucepan behind it with just the lids that would be needed simmering. On the left side (on the big burner) I had the dutch oven!

And this was most of the final product, cooling on towels on a cardboard table.And yes, one towel does have sumo wrestlers. Tee hee!
 I also learned that with jam and canning both it is important for a rolling boil to be a crazy wild boil, not just a simmery sort of boil. And that the clock for timing the canning starts when the crazy boil starts, not when I put the lid on. 

We still have 50 lbs of apples to process and also 50 ears of corn. And we're talking about going to get some pears this week, though I've somewhat put my foot down and said we need to get through the produce we have first!

No comments: