Friday, September 3, 2010

Canning Peach Jam - the Money Edition

So with our 50 lbs of peaches I decided to make 24 half pints of peach jam. And maybe more if my counting skills are off (distraction reigns supreme some days). Last night after the baby fell asleep I went to the kitchen with a pile of peaches and my Ball Home Canning book. That was at 6:45 pm. And at 9:15 pm I went to bed, having just taken the cans out of my new water bath canner.

In theory canning will help us save money this winter. Certainly we won't need any peach jam! We'll use many of the canned jams as gifts at Christmas. And the value of the experience is priceless. But really, am I saving money this year? Doubtful. I broke down and purchased a 21 gallon water bath canner...$25. Then two packages of half-pint jars and two packages of quart jars. About $25 too. Another bag of sugar, $3. Three packages of liquid pectin and another box of powdered pectin. I didn't even look at the price tag...probably about $7? And one each of small and large lids...again, no idea what that ran. Then the peaches themselves, which were .85/lb and we got 55 lbs. My calculator says that is $46.75. I'd tell you what the checkbook says but the checkbook (which is in my purse) is MIA at the moment. So all in all I've spent over $100 just to can some peaches. Not even going to mention the apples yet. And that was $100 we didn't have, and wouldn't have for several years. Yes, years.

I'm sick of saying no for things like this though! Next year we'll have that many more jars (minus the ones we gave away) and will have the canner ready to go. We'll have fresh(er) fruit this winter. And we'll have that satisfied feeling of a job well done. For now I'm just going to ignore the financial piece of this...and maybe later I'll admit the awful financial strategy that got me the money to purchase everything.

2 comments:

Jami @ An Oregon Cottage said...

Well, I'm impressed that it only took you a little over 2hrs- it always takes me longer than that. :-)

Don't be discouraged- that canner will pay for itself many times over in the next 20 years! And now that you know you are going down this road, be looking for lids on sale to stock up (there was even a coupon for them this year!), and scope out thrift stores throughout the year for canning jars. They're usually only about .20 cents each.

You can offset the cost this year by canning another spread (apple butter?), putting the two jars in a cute .50 thrift store basket and giving them as Christmas gifts. I do this a lot and it really helps keep the cost down around the holidays.

Have fun with your canner!

freedom journey said...

Thanks for the encouragement!! I think I will try some apple butter and like the idea of giving the jars as gifts. :) Never thought of going to a thrift store to find canning jars. I'll have to keep my eyes open for them now. Thanks again!!