Several months ago I came across the Simple Living Media set o'blogs. On their homepage they have this quote from William Morris: “Have nothing in your homes that you do not believe to be beautiful or know to be useful.” That quote in addition to further readings on minimalistic living and home organization have combined in my mind to create a new organizational theme in our home and purchases..."Do I love this?" Does whatever item I'm looking at make my heart sing? Do I think that item is really really cool? Does it express who I am today? Is the item something I love enough to dust? Do I love this item?
I'm finding there are quite a few items in the house that I like but I don't love. They are neat, interesting and even creative. But they are not me, and they are not my husband either.
Last night I was looking at a clock we bought on our honeymoon. It is from the redwood forest and is a piece of wood with a clock built in. I'd take a photo except I can't find the camera...whole other issue. I was thinking that though it was tied to the nice memories of our honeymoon the piece really doesn't fit us or our home. Somewhat tenuously I plod to the living room to ask hubby what he thinks of the piece. This is our conversation, pretty close to word for word...
Me: Sweetie, what do you think of this clock? Do you love this?
Hubby: Do I love that? No. Do I like that? No. Why did we buy that? We were on our honeymoon.
Enough said. :P
No comments:
Post a Comment